Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Bah, humbug

I do think Christmas sucks.
I try to enjoy it, enjoy the lights and decorations.
And it's easy to enjoy the fairy lights in the darkness of December.
But I don't know if I'll ever find any true joy in Christmas again.
I've practiced for ten years now, and it has become easier, but not easy.
I miss having a family.
I miss my mother.
On Christmas eve even more.
And seeing and hearing my neighbours leaving to go see their families, or welcoming them, the excitement of the kids, the lights on the Christmas trees.... does make it hard to feel thrilled about staying at home with the cats and a dressed up ivy.
I thought I was OK with Christmas, and with being alone, and that I didn't really care. Anymore.
The past years I've been working Christmas eve, and the years before I earned enough to be able to flee to Venice - or Nijmegen.
And it is easier that way.
Much easier than sitting at home alone pretending it's not much different from any other night, and that it doesn't really matter anyway.
I dread going back to work and the obligatory questions "did you have a nice Christmas?" and "did you get any nice presents?".
Especially since the truthful answer would be "I've rarely felt more alone" and "I didn't get any" respectively, and I have to find a nice, neutral answer instead.
But I really want to be able to enjoy Christmas, with myself and the cats and whichever potted plant I choose to decorate.
I just have to figure out how.
I don't want to become another Ebenezer Scrooge.
That would be too bloody sad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I don't have any good tips, but I do sympathize. I wasn't alone this year, but I felt it, even with family with me, which is its own kind of depressing. Would it maybe help to shift focus toward the new year?

Batty said...

Hugs and thoughts coming your way. You can't feel cheerful and happy just because people tell you you should. When you find a true reason for joy and peace, you'll feel them, and you'll feel warm and fuzzy. In the meantime, give your kitties a snuggle!

Smirking Cat said...

I agree with the other comments. Christmas has this forced, artificial cheer about it that is depressing in itself. I think Christmas is only truly fun for little kids who see it as a day to score tons of loot and need to contribute nothing, really. Most people are probably faking it at the holidays because they feel like they should.

Miriam said...

Just say, "i don't celebrate Christmas, but I enjoyed having a few days off."

Millions and millions don't celebrate Christmas. Myself included