Sunday, April 29, 2007

This doesn't happen in the real world

It's just something you hear happening to someone else.

My hard disk has died.
Actually it may not have died, it may just have left.
Even if I've checked and it's still there.
So while it's still here physically, it is not here in spirit, or whatever it would take for disk utility and diskwarrior and fsck to find it and repair it and make all well again.
And I still have a paper to hand in tomorrow. A full 12 pages of thorough wellwritten cleverness to hand in, plus the practical website project, of course.
Not to mention the other four papers due this semester.
All on the non responsive hard disk.

And I very nearly want to say to he** with good healthy sleeping and eating patterns, I'll just write a quick and nifty little replacement, and let them get the gist of the site from the test-page I uploaded just to check if the menu really did work across platforms.
The rest of the site is in the little sites folder on the hard disk.
But.... I've spent far too much time and energy on this, and it cannot just be replaced in a night of frenzied writing. Even if most is still somewhere inside my head, right now I'm too stressed and tired and stunned to find it.
And hoping that someone can bring my hard disk back.
That if I wait ten minutes, maybe it will suddenly be there when I turn on the machine. Again. While holding my breath. And wishing.
The beautiful machine, that cannot find its own bloody hard disk.

So I've sent my very nice teacher an email letting him know the situation and asking if there is any way I can sit the exam before next winter.
A dead hard disk is not illness.

Back up. Back up. Back up.

Now I'll go for a walk, kick some trees.
Refrain from returning to smoking, even if I suddenly wish I had not quit those many months ago.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no! That really, really sucks. I hope it works out in the end. There are companies out there who offer recovery services, taking apart the hard drive and reading disc by disc, but that costs a fortune, I think. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your hard drive will wake up, and I'm making a mental note to make a back up of mine real soon. Good luck.