Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Waterfront

I had a job interview today.
In a very strange area, the old free port, which is still a huge wastelandish port area.
With many big, big trucks and containers and rusty metal barriers everywhere you look.
And I am slightly afraid of big trucks.
Every adress there is something-kaj. And did I mention it was huge?
And so I got lost. Completely. Lost.
To me the rule is that if I'm not early for appointments I'm at least punctual. Always.
But no rules without exceptions, as they say.
I had, of course, given myself a 10-15 minutes margin to find the place.
But 7 minutes before the meeting I realized I was lost and called the recruitment firm for a confirmation of the adress and hopefully a bit of guidance.
And I was guided back down the long and winding road towards the outer end of the port area, and was told to just keep walking.
And it was raining. And windy. And cold.
And an old port is in all its photogenic decay really not the most charming place. Especially not in high heels in the wind and rain, feeling very small as the only pedestrian with huge big trucks rushing by, squirting even more water everywhere.
I ended up looking at nothing but a single shivering seagull and the big grey ocean in front of me .... and then turned back and in slight panic spotted a taxi down the road and ran to catch it before it went away.
And the very nice driver drove me back past starting point, not far from where I was standing when I called the recruiter, and then down a few more quays and around a bit, and then, there it was.
After bloody 45 minutes of determined walking hither and dither with no clue whatsoever.
At arrival I was reassured that noone could ever find it.
And the interview went well. For a full hour.
Fluid conversation, clever questions and answers, much knowledge displayed.
I'm just afraid that no matter how eloquent or insightful or very qualified you are, it will rarely outweigh a whopping 35 minutes of sheer lateness.
And the carefully applied discreet make up had of course been ruined by rain and wind, which left only freckles and fresh air cheeks and wet curly hair and a general mess.
Which was me.
However, going home I listened to Simple Minds' Waterfront.

Get in, get out of the rain
I'm goin' to move on up to the Waterfront
Step in, step out of the rain
I'm goin' to walk on up to the Waterfront
Said, one million years from today
I'm goin' to step on up to the Waterfront
Get in, get out of the rain
Come in, come out of the rain

So far, so good, so close, yet still so far
So far, so good, so close, yet still so
So far, so far, so far

It had already been rumbling at the back of my mind while I was searching for the right place, but I could not waste precious time fiddling with the iPod.
Oh, the worst thing is: I really would like that job.
But the lesson learned:
Next time I'll take a taxi to start with rather than do the full port area sightseeing first.

No comments: