Sunday, July 15, 2007

Portrait of my Mother as a Young Woman

I think my mother is 19 or maybe 20 in this photo.

Not much younger than that, and not much older, as I was born a week before her 21st birthday, and there's no sign of me to be found in this photo.
Today it is 11 years since she died. Very suddenly from a coronary thrombosis at the age of 45.
It is one of those days you will never forget, while never really remember.
I remember a three hours train ride crying the whole way, when not holding my breath, making an odd bet that if I could hold my breath until past that tree or that house or the next station or while counting to a mad number, then she would have woken up when I arrived, and it was all just a mistake or a bad joke.
Or a bad dream.
But it was not. And she didn't wake up.
I remember spending an entire afternoon ironing the white silk pajamas, I gave her for Christmas, wanting her to wear it in the coffin. The ironing board being my safe, quiet place away from my stepfather and my evil stepsisters.
I remember being angry and heartbroken.
And I stayed angry and heartbroken for a very long time.
But today, so many years after, that raw - and then not so raw - cold, hard, numbing grief has gone, and what I remember most today is her love.
The completely unconditional all-accepting love.
And her dry, dark sense of humour.
The bad elephant jokes, and our making stories together from everything and anything, be it a hardware store catalogue or a man driving past, there was always a story to be found.
She loved cats (and dogs), and wanted two Siamese cats. I thought she was silly and then forgot until I had my own set.
I remember her hands. And her laughter.
I know she was not perfect, but she was all and more than I could ever have asked for.
And I miss her.
I still miss her.
And I still love her.

2 comments:

Batty said...

She was a beautiful person. I'm sorry you lost her, but I'm also glad you had to have her in your life.

Anonymous said...

A poignant blog. I saw the picture of your lovely Mom and had no idea where your lines would lead. It jolted me really. I've lost loved ones and it bites. But the love you had and still have, your time with her....she's still with you every day, always.