Saturday, July 07, 2007

Today I worship at the feet of Teva Durham

While the postman brought neither yarn nor books yesterday, the library had good things waiting for me.
And one of these good things was the incredible Loop-d-Loop.
It is beautiful. Very, very beautiful.
And the patterns and the reasoning for and the thought put into them ... all awe-inspiring.
I wonder how it took me so long to discover it.
And now I have two knitting-heroines.
Stafford and Durham.
And so, to add to the unfinished need-only-four-pattern-repeats Monkey socks, the unfinished, not-even-halfway-there Elfin Bride, the unfinished but-getting-closer Elizabeth I, oh, yes, ... and the just cast-on Spiral boot socks, and the unfinished oh-my-where-am-I City Coat, .... I decided to cast on for this.
The Lace Cashmere Blouse.
My not-so-little play-swatch in Regia Silk loves it and clearly wants to become like it when it grows up and into shape.
(Yes, I do have that much Regia silk, in a lovely cream even. It was on sale, and I went greedy.)
At first I was stupid enough to think it could become Elizabeth I ... making the second attempt Elizabeth I II, or something, but gauge went off once I moved from swatching to actual knitting.
But now the poor little yarn finally has a direction in life!
And a beautiful one it is!
But I really, really should finish something. Just something.
For crying out loud.

4 comments:

Batty said...

That's one of my favorite knitting books too! I have at least 4 must make projects that are near the top of my to knit list.

Can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

Anonymous said...

Oh, neat. I had ignored the book because of the scarves on the cover, which reminded me of the paper chains that children make to count down the days until Christmas. But that sweater is beautiful. If you're using Regia silk, is it a rather small gauge?

Elspeth said...

Good luck! The book is lovely but the patterns can be somewhat ...lacking.
Elspeth

Anonymous said...

Umm. How are you going to wear this. It has a slit down the middle to the waist and it is lace. I love the look of it too, but who could wear it? Other than a model who didn't have to move about too much...