Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bird bath

It has been raining today. Enough for big puddles to remain in the gutter and the holes in the streets.
And waiting for the bus home I enjoyed watching a pair of pigeons bathing joyfully in the puddle by the bus stop. They were completely drenched in water, and looked happy and calm and playful and unusually charming, considering they are big city pigeons.
Suddenly a car came racing and the pigeons rose like little wet, feathery cannon balls. And one hit a young man right in the crotch.
I hadn't seen him coming either.
And I don't know which were more startled, the poor bird or the poor birdstopper.
And now I cannot help wondering how he must have tried to explain the big, wet splash of water with "You see, this big wet pigeon came zooming at me....".

For lack of pigeon photos, here's Laurenz, the Master Snoozer

And Vincent's paw.

1 comment:

Batty said...

It's hot outside. What can you do besides watch birds and snooze? Not much.