Monday, June 16, 2008

Oh, Stockholm. Oh, Rudolph. Oh, Anthropomorphic cloud in the sky.

Oh, Stockholm was wonderful.
It is one of my favourite cities.
If Copenhagen and Paris had a lovechild it would be Stockholm. It is so beautiful, and pleasant and calm even with its big-city vibe.
And we were spoiled.
I had my very own hotel room with armchair and desk and bath robe and a huge bed with crisp white linen and thick, soft towels. I could happily have stayed there, but I'm glad I didn't.
We had dinner at Operaterrassen with a stunning, panoramic view of the castle and the water. It was so beautiful it was almost surreal!
And when I couldn't figure out what renytterfilé was, my charming Norwegian colleague kindly translated it as "Rudolph".
I may see myself as a vegetarian, but when I'm a guest I eat whatever is being served. Even when it's called Rudolph.
And I can even bring myself to find it rather tasty. And I probably need the protein from time to time.
And the food and the wine was just wonderful. In particular the passion fruit cheesecake.
As was the band and the DJ, and quite against character I decided to stick to water for the evening so as to better enjoy it all without being numbed by alcohol.
And I may do that more often.
I had no less fun, and I had a lot more energy on Saturday.
Enough to go for a long walk with a colleague while the others were still snoozing.
And it was of course fun and interesting to meet our colleagues from the other Nordic countries. Even if I feel we had far too little time.
Less time as we had to wait for 1 1/2 hours for take off because a wheel had to be changed.
I think I drove the poor young man next to me bonkers by going through three newspapers and a documentary podcast before knitting a few rounds, then going through the newspapers once more and knitting some more and generally having far too much energy confined in a narrow window seat.
And then I kept pointing out interestingly shaped clouds to him, even after he had shown very little interest in the first five.
I didn't take any photos, so here's one of the cats instead:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time in Stockholm on your company trip. Stockholm must be a very beautiful city.

The boys look very peaceful while they rest.