Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Oatmeal biscuits (Hello Grandma!)

I seem to be on a crackers and biscuits roll these days.
Most likely there is still a lingering hand to mouth impulse connected to a certain degree of stress, and as I am no longer smoking, that means munching on something.
And that something may as well be just somewhat healthy and rich in fiber.
The crackers recipe needs some perfecting still, but in the back of my grandmother's cooking book I found her recipe for oatmeal biscuits.
And I remember and loved her oatmeal biscuits.
They are not as sweet as the ones you buy.
But they are better. In my humble very biased opinion.
And they're square! Nearly.

And I love my cheap blue tea cups from IKEA.
Mostly because of the large saucer-turned-plate, leaving plenty of room for something to eat while easily being held in one hand.
And the colour. Of course.

I am as bad at writing out recipes as my grandmother was, but here it is:
Oatmeal biscuits
250 g butter (I used half butter half margarine, for lack of butter)
2 dl milk or water (I couldn't decide so I used half of each)
- melt butter and add water and milk.
Mix:

6 dl oatmeal
7 dl flour
2 teaspoons baking ammonia aka salt of hartshorn (baking ammonia gives crispness and lightness and during baking it smells as if a fox just took a pee in the kitchen - if not available, or not appealing, substitute with 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda, it's almost as good and not stinky)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt.
Add the still warm butter/milk/water and quickly gather into a soft dough, which feels funny and warm and very delightful between your fingers.
Divide in two and roll first part out directly on to the baking sheet, cut into squares and prick with fork or similar.
Bake 15 minutes at 200 degrees (celcius!)
And then you do the same with the second part.

Depending on the size of the squares you cut (genius!) and how many you eat before counting, you should get anywhere between 60 and 80 biscuits.
Good sized biscuits, that is, plus some odd looking side biscuits, you had better eat first.
I'm not sure if they would not benefit from a bit more sugar and maybe some vanilla and perhaps even some ground almonds, ... or orange zest and a bit of cinnamon, ... or raisins ... just for the days when the sweet tooth is on the prowl.
It takes little more than half an hour - a bit longer if you forget you have biscuits in the oven.

But Laurenz is only happy to eat the burned ones.

No comments: