Wednesday, May 30, 2007

When all else fails, there is always knitting - and tuna

Well, now I have finished knitting the back of the Waist-cincher top.

And I knitted most of it while running Disk Utility, attempting clever things in Single User mode, and doing Hardware tests, as my beautiful Powerbook has refused to restart since Monday.

No errors, no nothing, there is absolutely nothing wrong, and as such nothing to fix.
But my beautiful machine nonetheless refuses to restart.
In spite of everything saying that a healthier and happier computer would be hard to find.

Tech Support suggests tuna. Tuna is always good.
And this is no fun as the deadline for two large exam-papers is Thursday, and I have not set up a proper back-up process, even if I knew I should.
Well, the deadline was Thursday, as I have just returned from the university where I handed in the signed slip of paper cancelling the exams.
End of that story.
I'm awaiting a package from Apple which may/may not bring my PowerBook to move beyond the lovely startup sound, the pretty grey apple, and the promising progression wheel to actually letting me access my computer.
So now I'm back on the faithful little old iBook.
And I can concentrate on the Cézanne paper.
And it really makes no big difference anyway.
A small difference, but not in the great scheme of things.
So I may/may not have to rewrite the other two + one exam papers, but if that's the case at least I have until January to do so.
And they'll probably be better for it.
At least that's what I've decided.
And with help like this, I will be just fine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my... At least you have Tech Support to offer you friendly, fishy suggestions. I do think I would be running around tearing out my hair at this point, but it sounds like you are handling things in a very graceful manner.

(Speaking of grace, if there is such a thing, I will be at the post office to mail a spindle within the next week or so.)

Alma said...

To be honest, I would be running around tearing out my hair, if I weren't too bloody tired.
But it's not the end of the world, I still have the iBook, and now I can just move on to the next.

Batty said...

Oh no, what an awful time for this to happen! I'm sending happy computer vibes, hope it all works out!

Matz said...

I'm really impressed how you handle these bad things happening to you!!!

And as a Mac-hater (they always do those nasty things to me, too) I suggest a PC ;)) ... and Tuna, of course!

Your Waist-Cincher looks so pretty! Post some pics (on the person!) when it's finished!