Saturday, May 19, 2007

That Chevron sweater - and the big hole

Some time ago I fell in love with a picture of the Chevron sweater in Erika Knight's Glamour Knits.
Finally getting hold of the book, thanks to the lovely library, I'm no longer quite as infatuated.
It is constructed by something as simple as rectangles with no shaping at all.
And being anything but rectangular myself that will no doubt need some shaping to work for me.
In particular as I do like a bit of shapeliness and a good fit to my clothes.
And I always get a bit distrusting of the fit of a pattern if the front and the back are shaped the same, as my front and my back definitely are not.
But I still think it is beautiful.
And I think I could make it work, with a bit of tweaking here and there.
And it may well become my simple mindless knit while writing the last two papers and waiting for the time to come for the second Elfin.

And the great big hole:
My gorgeous landlord is converting the old laundry room into a beautiful bathroom. While the space under the stairs will become the new and improved laundry room.
But now, after five weeks, this is the state of the new laundry room: big hole.
(bad lightning + bad camera + less than talented photographer = bad photo of hole in ground)
I may very soon need to find a laundromat.
But it seems that this neighbourhood, while being lovely, is too bloody affluent to support one.
And as I have not yet felt the urge to take my laundry for a bus ride, I've been keeping myself with clean clothes with the help of a bucket in the shower. For quite a few weeks now.
And I probably will until I run out of clean towels and bed linen.
In a few weeks.
Not sooner.
I hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that you could do some shaping for the sweater, which is beautiful. But it makes me wonder if the model has a clothespin behind her back to make it look fitting.

Will you get to use the beautiful new bathroom once the laundry room is converted? I have seen little portable washing machines that somehow magically hook up to the sink or tub. We still take our laundry to the base laundromat...