Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Waist-cincher top

I have already finished the first sleeve for the Waist-cincher top.
And I love it so far.
However I have found a few annoyances with the book at this point, as I find the schematics a bit lacking.
It has very nice drawings of Front, Back and Sleeve.
But the Sleeve drawing only shows measurements for the width at cast on edge and the widest point and the length of the sleeve before decreasing for the sleeve cap.
There is no measurement for the full length of the sleeve, nor for the sleeve cap. And in the pattern this part is only given in number of rows.
And this bugs me a bit.
Same with the front, which gives only the measurement of the height of the lacy part - as also stated in the written pattern.
No waist width, no indication of the width of the overlapping parts or the height from under the bust to the shoulder.
And add to this that the pattern itself is also written without an indication of the finished measurements.
Of course I can calculate my way to these measurements counting rows and stitches and using the gauge given.
But then it had been handy if she had also given her gauge for the part using the smaller needles.
This may not be super important, but sometimes it's nice to assure yourself everything is right by using your measuring tape.
And sometimes it's nice to be able to adjust for a narrow waist by knowing beforehand if adjusting is needed.
(And again I think I have been spoiled by the Domiknitrix, as her patterns and schematics are extremely detailed.)
So I'm slightly annoyed - but still very, very happy with the book.
And the sleeve.

And the best morning sunshine is found leaning against the book case.
And I really, really need to chase away some dust bunnies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it will be done in no time at all! Very pretty. Are all of the patterns written without specific measurements, or just this one?

After all you have said about the Domiknitrix, I think I'll have to go out (okay, to Amazon.com) and buy her book. And maybe this one, too, although right now the super-easy mitred squares from Mason Dixon are distracting enough for me.

Hope you enjoyed plenty of sunshine this weekend, and the cats too.

Alma said...

There are specific measurements given - just not for everything. And not for the parts I want/need measurements for.

Bah, it has been grey and rainy most weekend,

Anonymous said...

It's grey and rainy here, too. Good for the temperature to be sure, but driving in the rain makes me very nervous and I am putting off going to pick up some milk and coffee until the weather (hopefully) clears up. Must go to base since the German shops are all closed for a church holiday. Sigh.