Friday, May 25, 2007

When a knitting book makes the bookseller blush

I have been very good today and have worked very hard on my exam papers, and so I allowed myself to go to the book store to get my very own copy of Joan McGowan-Michaels Knitting Lingerie Style.

The very nice man at the book store was business as usual until he looked at the cover again:
"But it's a knitting book?!"
"Yep, it's a knitting book."
"My aunt used to knit."
"Oh, did she?"
"Yes, but mostly sweaters and they were usually itchy, and ... this is not .... sweaters ... (another glance at book cover) and not itchy .... I hope".
There is something rather endearing about a middle aged man blushing because of a knitting book.

And the fun didn't stop there, I also allowed myself to buy yarn for the Waist Cincher-top.

As I simply cannot imagine wearing an angora blend next to the skin I found a very nice cream coloured cotton/wool blend which should work. With black for the edges and stripes.
Because I'm boring.
I did fondle a lovely dusty lavender angora/wool blend, which would perhaps have been suitable for the waist-cincher top, but will instead be perfect for the bed jacket.

And there are pretty socks. Many pretty socks. But these are the laciest.

And these interesting leggings would very likely be perfect for both yoga and cold winter days.

And there's a gorgeous skirt.

Of course I think about knitting this in a cotton/linen blend, as I apparently lack respect for yarn choices - even if I should know better.
But my excuse would include that none of the yarn used in the book is available here. None.
And there are no suggested alternatives, nor a description of why the yarn is chosen or what to look for in a substitute. Or whether it is deliberately knitted loosely or tightly compared to the standard gauge for the yarn.
The brilliant Domiknitrix has spoiled me in this regard.

There are also plenty of bras and beautiful sleeveless tops.
And while I do not do sleeveless myself (thanks to being overly self conscious about my arms, having suffered from a bad eczema most of my childhood and teenage years), there may be made many fine gifts for the girlie friends.
And now I can knit and watch Judge Deed and McCallum on the Granny Channel and drink a bit of wine.
Sadly, or maybe not, that's very much my idea of the Perfect Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Those patterns are beautiful. I'm sure the bookseller must have thought so, too. And I'll be looking forward to seeing your results. Perhaps that is a book to add to my small pattern library soon - it's rare to see so many lovely designs under a single cover.

Hope you enjoy your weekend - I will also be having some wine (and wishing I could watch old TV shows) later as motivation for going out running, on a day when hanging out in old, baggy pants seems much more ideal.

Anonymous said...

i love the leggings! they must be so comfy.. the really look nice
what brand are they?
regards
bart