Wednesday, May 09, 2007

From tablecloth to tunic

I have not had much to show these past months with regards to the Pledge, but I hope next semester will be more refashioning-friendly, timewise.
While the thrifted tablecloth was much smaller than the tag said, I have now a finished, albeit shortish, tunic top, with the help of a very old Burda pattern.

I actually think finding the pattern sheet took me longer than the actual sewing.
I am (at times) both lazy and practical and thus let the woven edge of the cloth be to form the edges of both body and sleeves.
And the subtle woven pattern shows itself beautifully in the simple shape. But does not photograph well.

And while it is a bit big I love the way it has turned out, and I'm sure the linen/cotton blend will keep me cool and comfortable on the hot summer days to come.
I like the thought of the table cloth having been witness to (hopefully) many happy family dinners.
And now it will come out with me to see other parts of the world.

Of the two white shirts one has found a new home with a friend of mine, who was quite terrified I had thought of "doing things" to it as it was
A. his size
B. a very expensive brand.
And I've just started using the other one to sleep in.

No comments: