Thursday, May 31, 2007

The waiting room

Today I will not leave the house.
Not until I have received my care package from Apple.
I called Apple on Tuesday.
I told them about my problem and what I had so far done to fix it.
And I told them about my suspicion that the trouble is caused by a recent security update not working with a recent iTunes update on OS X 10.3.9.
My intuition. Not valid proof, just .... intuition.
(The iTunes update makes it impossible to verify Permissions in Disk Utility on 10.3.9 - and that's a known problem.)
And now there's an OS X 10.4. upgrade on its way by courier, and it should be here today.
They regretted they could not deliver it sooner.
During my 8 years as a Mac-lover I've only had reason to contact them twice.
The first time because I had spilled wine into the keyboard of my then 4 years old iBook and needed a replacement, as the spacebar and the n had stopped working.
It was with me within two days.
I was prepared for some sniggering because of the age of the iBook and the wine, but it never came.
I was also prepared for it to cost a small fortune, but it didn't.

I would never dare fiddling with the roots if I had a PC.
(Actually I would never even dare go on the internet with a PC, I see too much trouble with worms and Trojan horses and .... germs amongst my PC-using friends).
Not to mention all the fun you can have with Windows Vista.
I have never had a Mac freeze on me until now.
At work I have a visit from Dr. Watson at least once a day.
I have never had a Mac refusing to restart either. Not until now .....
Or ask me to restart it. In the middle of something important.
I have never had to search for a driver.
This may be why the PowerBook is breaking my heart.
But it is also why I still love and trust it.
Oh, and I have never bought the AppleCare. I have thought about it, but never actually gotten around to doing it.
Still they give outstanding and very caring service.
Just a few reasons for my hearting Apple.
And now I'm all dressed and ready to run down and hug the courier once he gets here.
I may get some knitting done, while I wait.
And ponder my back-up procedure in the future.

And because there's more to life than reading and writing, knitting and waiting, I also have a very secret project to play with.
Involving this:


And sorting through the old photos I found one of kitten Laurenz.
When he was a wee one still living with his sister and the rest of his big cat family.
And was called Lorentin.
"Who's a cheeky little monkey?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sense a purse coming on! (That fabric is stunning.)

Laurenz as a kitten is precious and looks as full of personality as ever. And makes my heart melt. I have been told that three furry beasties living in the apartment is enough. But I'm still listening for tiny mews whenever Lauren and I go out on a walk, just in case there is someone in need of adoption...

Rice said...

OMG

That little kitty is so different looking. He is cute but I have never seen a kitten look like him. Perhaps it is the ears?